click to show more information

click to hide/show information About this Show

CNN Newsroom

News/Business. Breaking news and developing stories.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 50000

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Iowa 10, Cindy 8, Minnesota 7, Us 7, Don 5, Jim Clemente 5, Casey Anthony 5, New York 5, Atlanta 5, Holly Hughes 4, Casey 4, Michele Bachmann 4, Cnn 4, Krystal Holloway 4, George Anthony 4, Dominique Strauss-kahn 3, At&t 3, Jane Velez-mitchell 3, Baez 3, Jeff Ashton 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    CNN Newsroom    News/Business. Breaking  
   news and developing stories.  

    July 2, 2011
    10:00 - 11:00pm PDT  

10:00pm
>> i'm not trying to bully you. i'm trying to establish your credentials. i am not offering any services. >> yes, i'm single. >> i just know that you like irishmen, and i happened to be an irishmen. wouldn't my wife mind if i went out with charlize theron. she would probably be thrilled. very nice to meet you. >> thank you. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com right now on cnn, on the eve of closing arguments with the verdict drawing ever so near, live pictures of a candlelight vigil for young caylee anthony, across the street from where her body was found. her mother is accused in her death, and court was in recess today, but back in session on sunday. ly be ta-- i will be talking to people whoeen covering the trial for six weeks now.
10:01pm
we have holly hughes on the set with me in atlanta. in orlando, jane velez-mitchell, and drew petrimoulx and jim clemente, and we'll tell you all the information you need to know before the court battle begins tonight. also tonight, fellow soldiers honor one of their own. he was lost in combat, in afghanistan. he was serving as an openly gay soldier. his parents are honoring his memory by fighting for same-sex marriage in minnesota. watch this. >> when you enter the military, you have to take an oath to protect and defend the constitution, and it protects the country against foreign and domestic enemies. the enemy here is intolerance, misinformation, bigotry, probably greed. so as a soldier, that is what he was fighting for. >> i'll talk to them. and a lawmaker in the state who wants to outlaw gay marriage. plus --
10:02pm
>> ha, ha, ha. >> the rochester, new york, woman who was arrested for videotaping police in her own yard gets the last laugh. but now she fears she's being targeted by the cops. those stories and much, much more. but first the news and a developing story. the former head of the imf fund is free from house arrest. dominique strauss-kahn and his wife left the townhouse they have been staying. he was arrested in may after an alleged sexual assault to a housekeeper at a hotel. but in recent days, the case seems to have unraveled because of the victim's own credibility problems. >> as dominique strauss-kahn waits to hear if the district attorney will pursue charges gents him or drop the case all together, there is new detail about credibility issue's involves dsk's accuser.
10:03pm
>> and mr. strauss-kahn's release on his own recognizance. >> reporter: a bombshell discovery came one day before prosecutors told the jury about the maid's credibility issues. they tell cnn, the d.a.'s team got a translation from a jailhouse phone call recorded in minnesota. as first recorded in "the new york times," a source tells cnn that a call in the dialect of the native guinea was made between a maid and the boyfriend the day after the alleged sex attack. the source tells cnn the maid said, quote, something like she says she is fine and this person is rich and there's money to be made. investigators also discovered several bank accounts in the maid's name in different states. an account she didn't disclose on her own. quote, she was getting deposits of several thousand dollars at a time, the source tells cnn, from people she knew, potentially
10:04pm
involved in drug dealing. strauss-kahn's attorneys insist he is not a rapist, and they want the case dismissed. susan candiotti, cnn, new york. susan, thank you. a tragic holiday weekend for a family in indiana. one boy is dead, and his older stepbrother now faces a murder charge. police arrived at the home near martinsville on thursday, and the 6-year-old had been shot in the head and later died. the family and friends are still struggling to understand what exactly happened. >> they got along just fine, all normal and nothing out of the ordinary to suggest that anything would happen. i was crushed. i cried all night. my kids didn't know what was going on. it is hard. >> the 11-year-old stepbrother has a hearing next wednesday and he could be charged as an adult. a missouri man has been charged with felony sexual assault after raping an unconscious woman on a city sidewalk. melvin jackson told kansas city
10:05pm
police that he thought that the woman was dead. >> in is a new one. this is one that i have not seen come through before. there were witnesses who saw this happening and stepped up and reported it. they gave help to this woman. >> the alleged victim said she became dizzy after walking in the heat, and after lying down, she lost consciousness and she said she awoke to a good samaritan shouting to the man to get off of her. jackson is in jail on a $70,000 bond. a grandfather and former cop is charged with the kidnapping of a little girl 54 years ago. jack daniel mccullough has been arrested in seattle, washington. he had been living with the wife in a retirement community where neighbors said they were often with the grandchildren. they say he killed 7-year-old maria widlow, and he was a suspect back then, but police lost track of him when he
10:06pm
changed his name and joined the military. >> to any family out there who lost a child and they should be considered and my uncle is a wonderful and loving and kind and considerate person and i don't know anything other than that. that is all i know. okay. >> and the judge said that the man had been taken to a medical center for treatment. no more executions in illinois. 15 inmates on death row have had their sentences commuted to life in sentence. pat quinn signed the ban on capital punishment in march and it took effect today. no one has been executed in illinois in more than a decade. he imposed this moratorium after more than a dozen condemned inmates were sentenced. more happening in the casey anthony murder case. the defense rested without calling casey to the stand. >> mr. baez, do you intend to present any more live witnesses? >> no, sir, we do not.
10:07pm
>> will the defendant be testifying? >> no, sir. coming up, an in depth look at how this could affect her trial. >> no, i'm sorry. i am standing in my front yard. >> and remember this video? video of this arrest that went viral and outrage online grew, and now this rochester, new york, woman, has every reason to say in your face to the officer who handcuffed her. and many of you have been asking for information on social media, and you can reach out on twitter or facebook at cnn.com/don, and you can check out my book "transparent" with is available anywhere books are sold. all right. twitter world, look at who i have here. >> hi, everybody. >> what is your name? >> what? >> what is your name? >> i have to say my name? >> yes. who are you? >> stephen colbert. >> why are you here? >> i am here to support don lemon's twitter account.
10:08pm
>> which is? >> don lemon@don lemon.com. >> @donlemon. >> thanks for denying my reality, don. >> get out of here. and the 100% natural whole grain oats can help lower your cholesterol. you are so sweet to me. bee happy. bee healthy. ♪ [ male announcer ] what is the future of fuel? the debate is over. ♪ lexus hybrid drive technology is designed to optimize any fuel source on the planet. even those we don't use yet. because when you pursue perfection, you don't just engineer a future-proof hybrid system. you engineer amazing. ♪
10:09pm
a complete four course seafood feast for $15. start with soup then have salad and biscuits followed by 1 of 7 delicious entrees and finish with something sweet all for just $15. right now at red lobster. and i can have a proposal to you within half an hour. we're a small business. with 27 of us always in the field, we have to stay connected. we use verizon tablets, smartphones. we're more responsive. there are no delays. delays cost money. with verizon, we do things quicker and more effectively. more small businesses choose verizon wireless than any other wireless carrier because they know the small business with the best technology rules. agents, what did we learn here today? that lint balls are extremely flammable... ...that's why it's important to regularly clean and inspect your vents. correct. [ male announcer ] we are insurance. ♪ we are farmers ♪ bum, ba-da-bum, bum, bum, bum ♪
10:10pm
our girl's an architect. our boy's a genius. we are awesome parents! biddly-boop. [ male announcer ] if you find a lower rate on a room you've booked, we won't just match it. we'll give you $50 towards your next trip. [ gnome ] it's go time. personal pricing now on brakes. tell us what you want to pay. we do our best to make that work. deal! my money. my choice. my meineke. is it your decision not to testify based upon consultation with your counsel? >> yes, sir. >> you understand that your decision to testify or not testify is solely your decision and your decision alone? >> yes, sir.
10:11pm
>> and it is your decision not to testify? >> yes, sir. >> have you had ample time to discuss this matter with your attorney, that is the pros and cons of testifying or not testifying? >> yes, sir. >> and has anyone used any force or pressure in making you arrive at that decision? >> no, sir. >> then that decision is your decision freely and voluntarily? >> yes, sir. >> all right. there you heard it, casey anthony, declining to testify in her own defense. her sensational murder trial is now winding up and is going to go to the jury as they say soon. both the prosecution and the defense have rested. there won't be anymore testimony, and the jury could get the case as early as sunday, and the young woman is accused of killing her 2-year-old
10:12pm
daughter, caylee, back in 2008. my panel is holly hughes, jim clemente who serves as an adviser to criminal minds, jane velez-mitchell who is host of "issues" with jane velez-mitchell on hln, and also drew petrimoulx. to my guests here in atlanta first. first, her not testifying, is it a done deal, holly? >> it is a done deal because what happened is we all know the prosecution has the burden of proof. defense doesn't have to do a thing, but jose baez said i'll show you evidence. there's hard and fast evidence casey was molested by her father george, by her brother, lee. and by the way, this child was never missing. she drowned in the family's swimming pool on june 16th. they didn't do any of that. there's no evidence, and the order that is entered in every criminal case in the state of
10:13pm
florida from the judgeb said that you cannot argue in closing arguments anything that is not presented to the jury. if there is no evidence of it, you can't argue it. so, you know, her not testifying to all of the things that was promised is big, and the jury is going to want to know why. >> jane velez-mitchell, you have been there covering the trial since the beginning and watching for the last couple of weeks up close and personal. >> well, they can get in something based on a reasonable inference, so i believe that is going to be a source of contention. i believe you will hear a lot of objection from the prosecution tomorrow, because jose baez has a track record of trying to sneak things in with inference, and asking questions that he knows are going to be objected to, and that objection is going to be sustained, and he doesn't care. he does it anyway. but the rules are, again, that you cannot discuss facts not in evidence, so jose baez should not be able to say, little caylee drowned accidentally in
10:14pm
the pool, as he did in opening statements, but he might be able to say, we saw evidence that little caylee was capable of getting into that pool herself and cindy testified that she believes that the pool ladder was left in a position that would have allowed her to go in there and drown accidentally. so, really, the devil is in the details and there is going to be a lot of nuance and a lot of debate. >> drew, as a reporter there covering the case and also as an observer, as you watch the faces of the people on the jury, she is saying that i'm not going to testify, i'm doing it under my own will. what are they doing? what is their reaction? >> well, there has not been a lot of reaction from the jury, and a lot of that is upon the instruction of the judge, but they have paid close attention to the testimony. i have noticed that a lot of the jurors are watching casey anthony a lot which i think is very interesting. some of them take notes. some of them don't. i have noticed throughout the trial that they are friendly
10:15pm
with each other and especially the ones who are close. so it is very interesting to see who is elected the foreman and how these deliberations start going once they get the case. >> all right. now, to jim clemente, former fbi profiler. when you have someone on trial like this and they don't testify, and you are watching their behavior, what is this going to say to you about guilt or innocence if anything? >> well, the one thing we can say for sure is that the jury is not allowed to draw an inference from that, but anything can happen. it is certainly leaves them with a gap in something they were promised in the opening statement. >> what do you mean? it leaves them with a gap? what does that do for the jury? >> well, they are going to ask these questions. why didn't she take the stand and to explain what happened? why couldn't she tell us about the truth of what her father did or didn't do and why she went out partying for a month after her daughter died. they will ask those questions.
10:16pm
>> standby to the panel, because we will continue the talk about this, because investigators found searches for chloroform on the anthony's home computer and prosecutors point the finger at casey and later in her defense, her mother says she also searched for chloroform and now there is a new witness who says that is not true. >> march 17th, 2008 -- >> yes. >> can we say between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. eastern time, was user cmanthon entering information into gentiva's work information system? >> yes. >> who is telling the truth? we will try to sort it all out for you next. ♪ [ male announcer ] and just like that, it's here. a new chance for all of us:
10:17pm
people, companies, communities to face the challenges yesterday left behind and the ones tomorrow will bring. prudential. bring your challenges. ♪ i like your messy hair ♪ i like the clothes you wear ♪ i like the way you sing ♪ and when you dance with me ♪ you always make me smile [ male announcer ] we believe you're at your best when you can relax and be yourself. and at thousands of newly refreshed holiday inn hotels, you always can. holiday inn. stay you. and now stay rewarded with vacation pay. stay two weekend nights and get a $75 prepaid card.
10:18pm
10:19pm
do you recall in march of 2008, you doing any type of searches for any items that might include chloroform? >> yes. >> mrs. anthony, is it your testimony that despite the fact that your work records show that you worked on monday march 17th of 2008, and friday march 21st of 2008, that you were home between the hours of 1:41 p.m. and 1:55 p.m. on march 17th of 2008? >> it is possible, yes. >> were you home on march 17th of 2008, between 1:43 and 1:55
10:20pm
p.m.? >> if those computer entries were made, then i made them. >> march 17th, 2008 -- >> yes. >> we can say between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. eastern time, was user c-m-a-n-t-h-o-n entering information into gentiva's workstation? >> yes. okay. let's discuss this with our guests. we have holly hughes, and jim clemente who now serves as an adviser to the show "criminal minds and fbi profiler, and jane velez mitchell from "issues" on hln, and jim petrimoulx,
10:21pm
reporter here in atlanta. is it obvious that she's helping the daughter? and she did so in the process of her testimony? >> i think in my opinion, her computer testimony is a desperate attempt to try and save her daughter's life. unfortunately, she was shut down with the facts. she could not have been at home making the surfaces when the surfaces were made. it's a real bonus for the prosecution because if cindy anthony, somebody would go to that length to actually lie about making the computer searches, if she actually knew that her husband george was a cheater and child molester, she would have been screaming on that stand, she would have swore up and down about it. she didn't do that because it's not true. >> jane i have to ask you because i'm sure other people had interactions with the anthonys, but you had a close
10:22pm
interaction with cindy and i believe other members of the family on an elevator, and drew your own assessment of that, talk to me about it. >> i saw them get into the elevator, i got in with them. this is after some of the most emotional testimony by this family, and they rode down together, and lee and cindy were talking to each other in an animated fashion. george turned and faced the wall of the elevator with his nose almost at the wall, not the door but the wall of the elevator. this hit me that this family is, a, they are in collaboration with one another, and they're talking to one another, so they know what to say since cindy has been taking notes on the entire trial in an attempt to get casey off. the thing is it was proved pretty squarely that cindy was at work when these sinister searches were done for chloroform, for neck breaking, for acetone, for things that the prosecution says casey looked up in her plotting of the murder of the daughter, but think about this for a second because i was thinking about this today. think about these jurors in a room, because it is one thing to say you look up chloroform even if they proved that casey did that, but it another thing to prove that she actually went out and made the chloroform.
10:23pm
has the prosecution shown when she concocted this chloroform? how she did it? how she actually purchased those ingredients and the household products? i think that there are still a lot of unanswered questions here, and so if the jury begins the deliberations on the fourth of july, a holiday, and wants to get out early, i'm thinking they may throw a lot of of the stuffer that is going to require a lot of extensive conversation out of the window and say, we might give her second-degree murder which is a dangerous act by a depraved mind with disregard for human life. i'm just saying it is a possible. either it is going to go very fast or it could go for a long time. >> i want to bring in holly, because she is saking her head intently. i remember having you on, and you called her spendy anthony instead of cindy anthony. >> well, it is obvious to everybody that she absolutely lied and she committed perjury and she did so to save her
10:24pm
daughter es li daughter's life, and we get that, and we understand it, but the jurors are sitting there asking themselves why does cindy feel the need to lie to cover for her daughter. if these searches were not sinister and if the chloroform was not used on the baby or part of how she died, why do you have to lie about it and cover it up? as for the holes and don, i brought you a little present here, because i have a thing that i e ma-- that i made up th i show to the jurors when i do a closing, and looking at this puzzle, can you tell what this is? >> it is spydy man. >> and you can see that there is a piece missing over here and here and the bottom line is that although you don't know what every single little piece of this puzzle looks like, you know what the big picture looks like. so, therefore, what the jury is going to do with the questions that jane just raised, they are
10:25pm
going to think about it, but they are going to go, yeah, but you know, in the grand scheme of things when i look at the entire puzzle, because this is what jeff ashton is going to argue to them, you might not know every single little tiny piece but when you step back to look at all of the pieces together, you will get the big picture. >> and drew petrimoulx, don't worry, because we will get to you in the next block. a lot of he said/she said this week after george's alleged mistress took the stand. >> he had said it was a accident that snowballed out of control, but i was in shock. and by the time i looked up, his eyes were filled with tears and i didn't elaborate. >> surprising claim from krystal holloway, and coming up, here what else she had to say into be stand, and also the other big story of the day coming up. stay with us. then have salad and biscuits followed by 1 of 7 delicious entrees
10:26pm
and finish with something sweet all for just $15. right now at red lobster.
10:27pm
10:28pm
okay. let's get you caught up on the headlines right now. dominic strauss-kahn and his wife left the manhattan townhouse for the first time since he was released from house arrest. he is accused of sexually assaulting a hotel maid in may. and since, credibility issues about the maid have been
10:29pm
reveale revealed. moammar gadhafi is pledging revenge for bombings in libya. the state department spokesman said the u.s. takes his threats seriously and will continue to support nato's mission in libya. texas authorities are urging people to stay away from the nuevo laredo this holiday weekend, the border city which is just across the border of laredo, texas. a violent drug cartel plans to target americans for robbery, drugs. >> there's news in iowa about a pair of republican hopefuls. michele bachmann is on a multi-city bus tour trying to build on her strong showing in a recent state-wide tour. iowa kicked off the season with the iowa caucus next year, and a shift in the iowa staff for republican herman cain. two top staffers have resigned, and he's downplaying the changes and insists that new hires are
10:30pm
coming on board. rhode island has legalized civil unions. it will give same-sex couples new breaks, health couple benefits, but it falls short of marriage. the bill fell through the senate earlier this week despite strong opposition. up next, jaw-dropping testimony from the woman who said she had an affair with casey anthony's father in the weeks after little caylee went missing. >> do you get to know mr. anthony a little better? >> yes. >> did you develop a relationship with mr. anthony? >> yes, sir, i did. >> and was this an intimate relationship? >> yes. >> what else did krystal holloway have to say? you will hear that when we come back. of at&t and t-mobile would deliver our next generation mobile broadband experience to 55 million more americans, many in small towns and rural communities, giving them a new choice.
10:31pm
we'll deliver better service, with thousands of new cell sites... for greater access to all the things you want, whenever you want them. it's the at&t network... and what's possible in here is almost impossible to say. it's the at&t network... purina cat chow helps you well-being. we're all striving for it. nurture it in your cat with a full family of excellent nutrition and helpful resources. purina cat chow. share a better life.
10:32pm
10:33pm
did you develop a relationship with mr. anthony? >> yes, sir, i did. >> and was this an intimate relationship? >> yes. >> did you have a romantic relationship with her? >> no, sir, no. to me, that's, that's very funny. >> can you read the date of that text message to the ladies and gentlemen of the jury, and then its contents. >> tuesday, december 16th. >> what year?
10:34pm
>> it doesn't say. >> okay. go on. >> from george anthony. just thinking about you. i need you in my life. >> did you at any time ever tell her not to say anything about your affair with her? >> sir, i never had a romantic affair with krystal holloway or river cruz or whatever name she wanted to give you or the world. if i'm not mistaken, sir, she has a questionable past. >> i didn't think that he could raise somebody that was capable of harming her child. and that's when he said it was an accident that snowballed out of control. >> all right. back to it. my panel tonight, holly hughes, a criminal defense attorney, here in atlanta, and jim clemente a former fbi agent, and adviser to the show "criminal minds" and jane velez-mitchell host of "issues with jane velez-mitchell" on hln, and drew
10:35pm
petrimoulx, an attorney here in atlanta. and drew, who is telling the truth here? george anthony, krystal holloway or who? >> well, honestly, don, i do not know. i think that her testimony serves some important purposes in the case, because the defense is trying to label george as a liar. and if he could lie about this, maybe it is possible that he is lying about other things that he is testifying to. that would be key to the defense. she testified that george anthony told her that caylee died in an accident that snowballed out of control and partly aiding the defense theory, but on the prosecution and cross, prosecutor jeff ashton got her to talk about her story changing when she was initially confronted by law enforcement, and also some tabloid money involved in the story, and she -- >> oh, my god. >> -- and she also said that while george said it was an accident, he didn't say he knew it was an accident, so it is not clear if he had said this as maybe that is what he was
10:36pm
thinking in his head, but not -- she never said that he came out and told her that he found her in the pool, and that there was this whole cover-up, so it was a good witness for the defense, but not a great. >> jane, so many twists and turns and left turns here and then a left turn again and then erk, and where did krystal holloway come from? >> well, she was a volunteer who went there to presumably look for little caylee when it was believed that she was missing and taken by zanny the nanny. prosecutors insinuated that she sought george out and that she was publicity hungry, and again, she sold her story to the national "enquirer" along with her sister for $4,000, so she has a reason to insinuate herself into the case. but i have to say that she
10:37pm
believed pretty credible to me and the old saying hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, and we don't know if this woman was polygraphed, but if the jury wleef believe believes that george and cindy is lying, and that this family is filled with lies and toxic lies and that is why casey anthony went out to party for 31 days instead of reporting her daughter's accidental drowning. >> when i asked drew who is telling the truth, you were like, holly. you think they did have a affair? >> i do, don. and the reason is because we have a lot of outside information that the jury is not getting. the day that george anthony took the stand and denied having an affair with him, and i was listening to the levi page talk show, and she called in, krystal holloway and river cruz, and she
10:38pm
was cussing like a carnival cruise sailor. and she was upset that he did not come out with the details of the affair. and the jury won't know that because jeff ashton did what he did, he is not a dog with a bone, but a dog with a cow, here. >> i want to go around to all of you and ask if you can quickly about the verdict. >> first-degree murder and no death penalty, because they want to parse the blame out, and the apple does not fall far from the tree, and they know that cindy is a liar, and no death penalty. >> drew? >> well, one of the key things that we have to look at is see what the state says about the closing argument, because jane said there are a lot of unanswered question, and will they lay out the time and the place of how they believe she was killed, or leave it up to the jurors, and how much weight
10:39pm
will the jurors give to it? >> and jane? >> what i have learned, don, never predict what the jury will do, because they don't hear all of the hullabaloo, because they are in a vacuum and they are experiencing the trial in a completely different way than you and i are, so i won't predict. >> and jim, you have soon the cases from start to finish and been in court with many of them, and talk to me. what do you think? >> well, it is a very difficult case, and you could get a compromised verdict from the jury an convict her of first-degree murder and not the death penalty or a lesser conviction, but they have been in there and they are charged with looking at the evidence and evaluating it and hopefully they take the responsibility seriously and weigh the evidence and not just look at the arguments that the people are making. >> thanks to all of you. we will speak to you tomorrow night at 10:00 p.m. eastern and who knows what turns will have happened then. appreciate it. program note for you.
10:40pm
complete coverage of the closing arguments of the casey anthony trial at 9:00 a.m. eastern and you can watch it in the entirely on our sister network hln and you can watch jane velez-mitchell every night at 7:00 p.m. eastern on hln. and another name now in the running for president, and this is the video that caused outrage when it went viral. tonight, new developments in the story that we have been following and the woman who shot this video is talking to us. >> what the hell is going on here? can help lower your cholesterol. you are so sweet to me. bee happy. bee healthy. you are so sweet to me. at exxon and mobil, we engineer smart gasoline that works at the molecular level to help your engine run more smoothly by helping remove deposits and cleaning up intake valves. so when you fill up at an exxon or mobil station, you can rest assured we help your engine run more smoothly
10:41pm
while leaving behind cleaner emissions. it's how we make gasoline work harder for you. exxon and mobil.
10:42pm
10:43pm
>> i'm going to stand in my yard, if that's okay. >> remember this video? emily good of rochester, new york, recording police as she stood in her yard. then police put good under arrest and causing an outcry that the officer overstepped his authority. then the outcry turned to cheers as she prosecuted the officer with her attorney.
10:44pm
she spoke with me earlier along with erica bryant. she said she's relieved the charges were dropped but is disturbed rochester police still find nothing wrong with her arrest. >> justice has not been done, and that officer has not yet been brought to justice. he still hasn't faced the reality that he committed an unlawful act. >> this week, i have to say the union, the rochester police locust club said your episode, emily, has created a defiant and different attitude. >> mrs. good's message that has gone out to the public is that you have a right to interfere and question the actions of a police officer is irresponsible, is a dang ore ter is a dang ore te to the officer the individual that the officers are dealing with and any other bystanders and a simple street stop can turn deadly in seconds. >> emily, what is your response to that? >> if we don't have a right to
10:45pm
question police officers, then we are living in a police state. if you are in a situation where you feel that your rights are being violated, you should stand up and say something. but the column that i end ed up writing about this incident was my husband and i were talking about ms. good and how she stood her ground and how brave that was, but i said that i would not want my son to do that, because i would fear for him due to cases like where a man who was reaching for a wallet was actually believed to have been thought to be reaching for a gun and shot 41 times. >> i have to get to this, emily. there are other questionable e haven'ts involving you and police. last week your supporters came out and police issued five parking tickets. >> oh, really? civilian complaints. you don't think this is going on with the regarding the parking being further than 12 inches from the curb. >> you can see that the officers brought out rulers saying how
10:46pm
far people had parked from the curb and you say it is police retaliation, and you had burglary in the home, and the ipod that you used to shoot the video was taken and police took a while to respond to your home? was it retaliation, and what do you think happened with the parking and the ipod theft? >> well, i think that the burglary was suspicious especially since it was my ipod was that was taken. i can't speculate any further than that on the burglary. i feel like the meeting of my supporters in which four uniformed police officers showed up in four patrol cars and issued police tickets was clearly a case of intimidation. >> she says she plans to sue, and we contacted the rochester police station and the union, and they declined our request. and now adding a list to the
10:47pm
gop hopefuls is thad mccotter. insiders consider him a long shot. he is a five-term congressman who started his own law practice and the tenth republican to join the race. meanwhile, gop candidate michele bachmann is in iowa and shannon travis caught up with her at an iowa city diner. he was the only reporter to speak with bachmann, and he asked her why iowa is so important. >> ay is t iowa is the first in nation, and it is very important to be here, because the values and the opinions of the people in iowa count. they count for the nation. this is important to be here, because it is the bread basket of the world. this is where the food is grown and the best farmers in the world are here in iowa and it is important to come here to listen
10:48pm
to what people have to say in iowa and take that message back to washington, d.c. >> and michele bachmann has been on a roll joining mitt romney at the top of the gop poll. she officially kicked off her campaign a month ago. and news from the campaign of herman cain. two staffers have resigned saying that his results of a iowa straw poll was poor. a mother and father who lost their son while he was fighting in afghanistan are taking on a fight of their own here for same-sex marriage rights. coming up, hear why this cause is so important to them. just kidding. that's our tide. what's yours? i grew up wearing lots of hand-me-downs. bell bottoms in the '80s? not pretty. then she found them. she loved them,
10:49pm
so i washed them in tide with downy and they're still soft and fresh. right? i'm blogging. really. i'm talking. that's my tide. what's yours? a complete four course seafood feast for $15. start with soup then have salad and biscuits followed by 1 of 7 delicious entrees and finish with something sweet all for just $15. right now at red lobster. it's schwab at your fingertips wherever, whenever you want. one log in lets you monitor all of your balances and transfer between accounts, so your money can move as fast as you do. check out your portfolio, track the market with live updates. and execute trades anywhere and anytime the inspiration hits you. even deposit checks right from your phone. just take a picture, hit deposit and you're done. open an account today and put schwab mobile to work for you.
10:50pm
10:51pm
that flag-draped coffin holds the remains of andrew wilford. he was killed by an ied in february while on patrol in afghanistan. he was 31 years old. since he died, some unusual things have happened. his parents have become very active in the gay community and especially in the defending same-sex marriage, and you see, their son was gay. he served openly and proudly with his unit without any problem. he was the first openly gay serviceman to serve since the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell."
10:52pm
now a state legislator wants to amend the constitution. his parents say that is wrong. he deserves it right to marry just as much as anyone else. earlier, i spoke to warren ballard, who defends the rights of a man to marry a woman. i asked him why he does not want gay people to marry each other. >> i believe that marriage should be defined between one man, one woman. that law is being challenged in the courts. it could be be decided by one judge rather than a reflection of the value system that's reflective of our entire society here in minnesota. the people of minnesota should have a right and it is their right to define the moral code, the value code that goes into their laws. and giving this decision to the public to decide in the next election is absolutely the best way to do it.
10:53pm
>> i also spoke with jeff and laurie wilford about why they believe the ballot initiative is a mistake. >> we have a budget problem in minnesota, and all these people were elected to create jobs, balance the budget, they were not asked to legislate on gay marriage and these guys pushed it through, pushed it through, and they aren't listening. yet, they want the people to vote. well, now the people are going to vote, and we're going to do whatever we can to -- to change this here in minnesota. >> there's money at play here. there are people being manipulated, i.e. politicians and they are in the back pocket of these guys. this is not -- this is really not about a social issue, but about driving a vote out, a conservative vote out to the polls, and you know that most minnesotans are going to step into the voting booth, and look at that ballot and have never considered the constitutional
10:54pm
implications of, and it is going to say that minnesota defines the marriage of one man and one woman, and they are going to vote yes to that, because they are not going to consider the constitutional implications of that, and the younger people coming up behind us are going to play hell to get it out of the constitution and it is easier to put it in than to take it out. >> and we will have more on that conversation with the wilfahrt's and you can learn more about how andrew lived an die eand died o blog. and the long awaited anticipation of the marriage for prince andrew and catherine. no commemorative plates, but still, we will take you live to the up in challenges. and finish with something sweet all for just $15. right now at red lobster.
10:55pm
those of us who know grass doesn't turn green just because the calendar says to. and that a big difference can grow from a small budget. for those of us with grass on our sneakers... dirt on our jeans... and a lawn that's as healthy as our savings... the days are about to get a whole lot greener. ♪ more saving. more doing. that's the power of the home depot. make even more of your long weekend with a two-pack of kingsford charcoal, just $7.97. we're putting them to the test against the speed of a rescue unit. go ! they're downloading a music album. the first network to finish gets rescued. does your phone know that we're racing ? done ! verizon's done ! i've got seven left ! the fastest network in america. verizon. built so you can rule the air. now powering the lg revolution.
10:56pm
host: could switching to geico reon car insurance? or more host: do people use smartphones to do dumb things? man 1: send, that is the weekend. app grapgic: yeah dawg! man 2: allow me to crack...the bubbly! man 1: don't mind if i doozy. man 3: is a gentleman with a brostache invited over to this party? man 1: only if he's ready to rock! ♪ sfx: guitar and trumpet jam vo: geico. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance. our girl's an architect. our boy's a genius. we are awesome parents! biddly-boop. [ male announcer ] if you find a lower rate on a room you've booked, we won't just match it. we'll give you $50 towards your next trip. [ gnome ] it's go time.
10:57pm
♪ >> prince albert of monaco married charlene wittstock today one day after tying the knot in a civil ceremony. the bride, a former olympic swimmer, wore an armani gown. there were over 20 heads of state in attendance. >> just before the top of the hour, let's get you caught up on the headlines. dominique strauss-kahn left the townhouse he was house arrested in for the first time. in recent days, serious doubts
10:58pm
have been raised about the alleged victim's truthfulness and credibility. a warning from gadhafi to europe. the dictator is vowing vengeance. he says that the border could be a target. the u.s. takes his threat seriously, and he plans to support them. texas authorities are urging americans to say away from the border town of nuevo laredo this weekend. mexican drug cartels are targeting u.s. citizens for robbery, extortion and carjackings. there's news from iowa about a pair of republican presidential hopefuls. congress woman michele bachmann is on a multicity bus tour, trying to build on her strong showing in a recent state-wide poll. iowa kicks off with the iowa
10:59pm
caucuses earlier next year, and a shift in the iowa staff for republican herman kane. two top cain staffers have resigned. the cain campaign downplays the changes and insists new players are coming onboard. governor lincoln chafee signed the bill into law today okaying civil unions. the bill fell earlier in the senate this week despite strong opposition. before we go, have you heard about this presidential seal fell off of the side of the white house limousine, of the white house limousine this week as president obama headed to the philadelphia airport. now, even though the president's car is one of a kind, and bulletproof glass and all of that, the seal is not. it is magnetic like the nascar numbers and the college logos you see everywhere. aol